Writing groups offer more than valuable feedback on your writing. They provide support and a strong motivation to keep writing. If you are completing a writing course with us, we highly recommend that you join a writers group in your area.
Please always contact the group convenor to check that the venue and meeting times are still valid.
If you run a writing circle and you would like us to add or update your details, please let us know.
– Contact Monica Cromhout email@example.com
Writing for Radio Group
– Contact Chris Smit firstname.lastname@example.org
Performing Arts Network of South Africa (PANSA)
– Contact email@example.com or (011) 880 5486
– Contact Liesa Jossel firstname.lastname@example.org
The Network for Arts and Culture South Africa (NACSA)
– Contact Georgina email@example.com or (011) 482 4140
South African National Writers Association
– Contact Monica Cromhout firstname.lastname@example.org
Translators’ Institute of Southern Africa (TISA)
– Dave email@example.com (011) 466 2400
Academic and Non-fiction Authors’ Association of South Africa
– Contact Monica Seeber firstname.lastname@example.org or (011) 489 593
Bhala Writers' Group
- Umtata - Contact Mr. Matyumza at 082 6700 907 or email him email@example.com
Grahamstown Writers' Group
– Contact Crysta C.Warren@ru.ac.za or (046) 622 7042
King William's Town Writers' Network
- Nosiphiwo Macaula firstname.lastname@example.org
The Thursday Workshop
is a weekly get-together on Thursdays from 18.00 to 22.00. The venue is at 17, Rietfontein Road, Rivonia, Johannesburg. Poetry, stories, novels, and screenplays etc. welcome. Contact Jane Fox on 011-803-1849 or 082 9207 952
The Fully Booked Literary Group
is a group aimed at writers and readers of all ages, gender, race and genre as well as experience - from novice to published authors. Based in Pretoria East the idea is to have monthly.bi-monthly face-to-face meetings as well ad-hoc discussions on the Facebook page - more details available on the page (https://www.facebook.com/FullyBookedCircle). The group has been revived after a long while of inactivity and I am looking to completely revamp the group. If you are interested in becoming part of this exciting literary group, please contact Mary van Ede on email@example.com or 074 790 7620.
The Pretoria Writer's Circle
meets on the 1st Saturday of the month from 9h30 - 14h at the Alkantrant Library Meeting room, Lynburn Road, Pretoria. We have a Poetry meeting from 9h30 till 11h00, an Open meeting (with interactive learning slots and guest speakers when possible) from 11h00 till 12h00 and a Prose meeting 12h00 till 14h00. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Creative Writing Adventure
in Pretoria hold morning (from 09:00) and evening workshops on Saturdays. Evening workshops by arrangement. Cell: 073 269 7858
Live Poet's Society
- At each meeting there is usually a notable guest poet, followed by the evening's theme which is decided in the previous month. Members present their poems which are inked to the theme. There is also always a Poet Pourri where members present work on any topic. Adams Books Coffee Shop, Musgrave Centre, Musgrave, Berea, Durban. 5:30 pm every second Wednesday of each month (except January). There is no subscription or entry fee, but donations towards expenses are accepted. Please contact Brett Beiles 031 266 4762 or 082 516 0517; Email email@example.com
The South African Writers’ Circle
encourages and assists all writers, new and experienced, and promotes the art of creative writing in general. We meet at the Westville Library on the third Saturday of every month and listen to a guest speaker. Lunch is followed by a workshop to put various aspects of writing into practice. In addition to a monthly newsletter, there are monthly writing competitions. Winners earn points towards an annual award and a prize that is presented at our Annual Awards Lunch. To join the SA Writers' Circle go to http://sawriters.org.za/live/
for more details.
Mondays at Six
Venue: St Clements, 191 Musgrave Road, Durban. Time: 5h30pm for 6pm. Every Monday. Table bookings are advised
Telephone: 031-202-2511 Variety of shows each Monday : Book Launches, Readings, Poetry, Films, Music, Discussions and more.
Free Entry but there is a donations box to support the artists.
WEST COAST WRITERS’ CIRCLE
meets from 9:30 to 11:45 at the Milnerton Library on the last Saturday of each month. Find out more at www.westcoastwriterssa.weebly.com
Bergvliet Writers Circle
- this group has an annual programme of writing projects including short stories, articles, plays for radio or television, and they have even written an episode of a soap opera. Meetings: 2nd Wednesday of each month. Membership fee: R40 per annum. Email Lorraine Nevin firstname.lastname@example.org Monthly assignments receive a critique, either from two members within the circle, or from an outside critic.
Betty's Bay Writers Group
meets once a month to foster and encourage creative writing with a view to being published. This group has been active for over 25 years. Membership is open to all who are interested in developing their writing skills. Members must undertake to submit at least 4 manuscripts per year for evaluation and critique. Our group has close contact with the Bergvliet Writers' Circle. Meetings take place on the second Thursday of every month from 19:00 at Kikimbala, Lipkin Road, Betty's Bay. Contact Jean Martindale on 028 272-9654.
Bhala Writers' Group
- Contact: Fikiswa Magqshela or Mrs Yawa at 021 466 2590
Fish Hoek Writers' Group
- Meets at Fish Hoek Library. For further information contact Fish Hoek Library on 021 782 1115.
Kenilworth Writers' Circle
- For both fiction and memoir writers. Beginners welcome. For enquiries and details contact Jean Knighton-Fitt on 021 762 2724 or email her at email@example.com . We hold a writers' retreat on the third Saturday of every month from 9am - 1pm. A wide range of people come - from beginners to professionals; from those who just want to write once a month for fun to those who are working on books; from young to old. The day includes warm-up exercises, input of some kind, about one hour of silent writing time. There is a large quiet garden with many nooks and crannies - and time for reading and listening to one another. Feedback ranges from 'affirmative' to 'creative critical' - depending on what any particular writer is needing at that time.
Lansdowne Local Writers Group
- Bring along a dozen photocopies of a short story, novel chapter, play scene or poem that you'd like members' constructive criticism and comment. Or just can just listen and enjoy others' work. Meetings are held on the last Saturday of each month from 18:00 at 36 Markham Road, Claremont 7708. Contact Keith Gottschalk on 082 202 3304
Out to Lunch Writers' Group
is a weekly writing group. All writer's are welcome. Provides a platform to write and read every week, with other writers, even if you're a complete novice. Meetings take place every Wednesday between 13:00 and 14:00. Contact Colleen.firstname.lastname@example.org or (021) 423 2669
South African Writers Association (SAWA)
meets quarterly. Contact Keith Gottschalk on 082 202 3304
Friends of Central Library (FOCAL) Poetry Circle
– Contact Marcia Raymond email@example.com or (021) 797 9031
meet once a month in Kalk Bay and Somerset West. Contact Mandy Lebides on 021 788 8375 or 082 453 6262
Want to learn how to write, or improve your writing skills?
SA Writers' College offers over 35 writing courses online, tutored by award-winning writers who will teach you how to write and help you complete your manuscript.
Launched almost ten years ago, SA Writers' College proudly continues to provide outstanding results and student successes for writers in Southern Africa. We teach writing students from the far-flung corners of South Africa, including Johannesburg and Pretoria, Gauteng; Cape Town, Western Cape; Durban and Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal; Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape; Bloemfontein, Free State; Nelspruit, Mpumalanga; Kimberley, Northern Cape and Polokwane, Limpopo.
Whether you want to learn how to write a novel, an e-book, write your memoir, or write articles for magazines or travel publications, our writing courses provide the tools and feedback for you to complete your writing projects. Find out more about our writing courses here, and our tutors here.