How we started out -
In 2004, journalists Nichola Meyer and Lisa Lazarus co-designed the Magazine Journalism Short Course, and taught at Boston Language College and CityVarsity in Cape Town.
The Magazine Journalism Course proved to be so popular that Lisa suggested training on a national level - by taking the course online. So in 2005, Nichola launched SA Writers College.
The college now trains more than four hundred students each year. Since its inception in 2005, 35 new writing courses were added to the curriculum.
The hallmark of SA Writers College Courses is that the courses offer real training by real writers. The tutors know what writing will sell, and what won't. The courses are practical, current and to the point. Each course answers all the questions an aspirant writer will need to write in a specific field, and teaches students to write high quality copy in the correct style for their genre.
Some facts about us -
- We have trained students from over 45 companies, including Highbury Safika Media, New Media Publishers, Caxton Publishers, SABC, Juta, Associated Magazines, Multichoice, Mediaweb, Engel & Völkers, SA Décor & Design, Nedbank, Standard Bank, Vodacom, Old Mutual, Democratic Alliance, Vital Health Foods, Omage Holdings, TWP Consulting, BM Analysts, Natal Museum SA, bs3, FNB, and Emperor's Palace, Momentum, Eskom, JSE, MultiChoice, Montecasino and the IDC.
- We have trained over 3000 students since 2005 from Johannesburg, Gauteng; Durban, KwaZulu-Natal; Cape Town, Western Cape; Nelspruit, Mpumalanga; Pretoria, Gauteng; Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape; Bloemfontein, Free State; Polokwane, Limpopo; Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal; Kimberley, Northern Cape.
- Our tutors have collectively accumulated or been shortlisted for more than 60 international writing awards, including many Qantas Awards, several Commonwealth Writers' Prizes, four Emmy Awards, the Montana New Zealand Book Awards, The UK Real Writers Prize, ATKV Awards, the Caine Prize for African Writing, the Pen/HSBC awards, the Sir David Beatie Award, the George Foster Peabody Award, the Reed Fiction Award, Philip K Dick Memorial Award, the Arthur C Clarke Award, Locus Awards, British Fantasy Awards and the British Science Fiction Awards.
- We have over 450 pages of writing resources on our website - many of these free to the public.
- We currently have over 4000 pages of course notes written by our tutors - specialist writing knowledge for each genre of writing.
Our College Mission -
We aim to provide students with affordable, specialist writing tuition of exceptional standard. Specifically, all courses are geared to impart and assess writing skills, as well as industry knowledge.
Our College Vision -
We aim to remain one of the top international online writing colleges.
Why we keep growing -
- Our courses offer real training by real writers.
- Our tutors are among the best writers out there. They are finalists for, or winners of, top writing awards.
- Our tutors are passionate, committed teachers. Their testimonials remain excellent, year after year.
- Even though our tutors usually have several university degrees behind their name, they know that successful writers learn most by writing. You can't really "study" writing, just like you can't "study" to become a tennis player. Theory alone will not help you play a better game of tennis. You improve your skill by playing the game, on the court. For writers, the "court" is the blank page. Our courses allow students to practise the craft of writing, over and over.
- We offer input on each line that gets written in assignments, with correction and feedback from our expert coaches.
- Most of our students sign up from word-of-mouth advertising.