This anthology is a collection of the top 15 stories from the past five years of the annual SA Writers College Short Story Competition, with a foreword by esteemed author Henrietta Rose-Innes. We hope you enjoy this diverse range of South African stories and share the free download with your friends and family.
Please click the book cover to start the download. The anthology is a .pdf and is 1MB in size. Once the download has finished you can read the stories or save them to a location on your computer. If you need assistance opening the .pdf on your digital eBook reader click here.
How to get a .pdf onto a digital eBook reader
- If you have an Apple iPad/ iPod we recommend that you install Apple's iBook app via iTunes. This will automatically allow a .pdf to be copied from your computer onto your device. If you don't have iBooks installed you can also use the free PDF Reader Lite
- The Kindle will recognize a .pdf natively. Just connect your Kindle and wait for your computer to recognize it. Once connected just copy the .pdf from your computer into the 'documents' folder of the Kindle. That's it.
(Thanks to jynclr vie the Barnes & Noble community blog)
On your computer, perform the following steps:
- You will need the Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) software. You can download it here: Adobe Digital Editions
- When you run the ADE software for the first time you will be prompted to register your computer. Registering your computer will require a unique ID that will be tied to an email address.
- Next, plug in your nook. (Note: If ADE does not automatically recognize your nook, close ADE software, plug in your nook, then start ADE. If ADE still does not recognize your nook, search the forums for help on this issue as it is beyond the scope of these instructions.)
- Through the ADE software, authorize your nook.
Now that you have ADE installed and your nook authorized when you want to purchase a book that is in Secure Adobe PDF or Secure Adobe ePub perform the following steps:
- From the eBook retailer site, when you have chosen a file format, during the download process you will be prompted by your web browser on what you want to do with the file. Select the option that says, "Open with: Adobe Digital Editions." This should be a .acsm file. This file tells ADE where the download of the actual eBook is.
- ADE will automatically read the .acsm file and proceed to download the eBook into ADE.
- To get your eBook in ADE onto your nook plugged into your computer, you will see the nook on the left hand pane. Drag the ebook from the right hand pane to the nook icon in the left hand pane. The mouse cursor will show a green "+ (plus) symbol. Drop the ebook onto the nook. ADE will copy the file to your nook.
- From Windows explorer, find the drive your nook device is connected to. Right mouse button click and "eject" the nook from your computer. (If you have an extra memory card on your nook, find the drive for that memory card and "eject" the memory card from your computer also. ALWAYS eject the nook and it's memory card from the computer.)
- It is now safe to unplug the nook from your computer.
On your nook, perform the following steps:
- From the main menu on the bottom bar, select, "My Library."
- From "My Library," if you are not already in "My Documents," select that option.
- Select "Check for new content."
- You should see your newly purchased Secure Adobe PDF or Secure Adobe ePub book.