The Writing for the Web Course
Price: R 5 995.00
The Writing for the Web Course
A Practical, Inspiring Introduction to the Principles of Copywriting
Learn how to think and write for effective brand communication
The Copywriting Course is ideal for people who want to:
- Explore a career in copywriting
- Understand the conceptual processes involved in brand communication
- Develop relevant copywriting techniques for different media channels
- Extend existing creative or corporate writing skills to commercially focused writing
- Complement design skills with practical writing techniques
You will learn how to write advertisements and promotional material for print media, radio, websites, banner ads and non-traditional media.
Get insider tips and tricks from a copywriter with over 20 years of senior level experience.
This Course Gives You...
Master the Skill of Writing Effective Advertising Copy
Discover the power of persuasive writing
The Copywriting Course comprises eight modules with a practical project relating to each module. Six of the modules are mandatory and two are electives (There are four elective modules focusing on different media channels, which can be selected based on your personal interests and career challenges.)
The structure of the course has been designed in a specific order ensuring each topic builds logically on the next to help develop your skills in the processes of conceptual thinking. The content also includes many examples of award-winning advertising to illustrate techniques – and offer inspiration on lateral creative solutions.
You will receive extensive feedback on each project, with detailed comments on the different techniques involved in developing effective concepts and specialised writing techniques.
The course can be completed at your own pace within a period of one year.
You will learn:
- The strategy and objective behind the writing
- The role of conceptual thinking in effective brand communication
- Techniques for generating relevant advertising ideas
- The writing skills needed to become an effective communicator
- How to write in context with images and layout hierarchy
- How to write with empathy to connect with consumers
- The skills needed to write for different media channels
'Such a wonderful experience! The beauty of this course is that it doesn't end when you complete the assignments, you will definitely revisit this course and find that its content remains useful for long term. Karen is such an outstanding woman and receiving unbiased feedback from her has enabled me to see potential in my writing and her passion has ignited a spark in me- every writer needs a rekindling of that spark.'
Joy Ngesi, Writing for the Web Course
Start your course at any time – applications open all year round.
Price includes VAT
NUMBER OF ASSIGNMENTS
The assignments vary in length.
NUMBER OF MODULES
These modules include six set modules and two electives.
Work at your own pace – up to a maximum of six months.
START DATE: ANYTIME
Working with an individual tutor means you can start the course at any time.
Basic writing skills are essential.
Computer skills, e-mail and Internet access required.
No previous tertiary qualification required.
Tutor for this course
Karen Lotter is a journalist and writer based in Durban, South Africa. She specialises in creating websites, writing creative and interesting content and optimizing sites for search engines. (www.karenlotter.com)
She has written profiles, features, advertising copy, obituaries, press releases, and columns in magazines, company newsletters and newspapers, and written and produced corporate scripts.
An Introduction – What is Web writing and why is it different from paper writing?
- How do people read online?
- What is Web readability – Scanning, Chunking, and Stickiness?
- Why must you know your reader?
- What you need to know before you get started?
- Understand more about readability
Writing to be Found – Keywords and Hyperlinks
- Know what keywords/ key phrases are
- Understand the term “write to be found”
- Know how to use search engines and directories
- Know how to find good keywords
- Be familiar with hyperlinks and linking strategies
Online writing: Headlines, Intros and Search Engine Friendly Articles
- Understand the principles of online writing.
- Know how to write a headline and intro paragraph.
- Recognise which headlines are search engine friendly and which are not.
- Understand what it takes to write an effective article for the web
- Know how to write a good intro paragraph and a good headline
Blogging and Facebook
- Understand the concepts of blogging and Facebook
- Set up a blog and write blog posts
- Create a Facebook presence
Advertising, Making Money and more about SEO Writing
- How advertising on the Web works
- How to make money from your blog
- How to Write a good ad for Google
- SEO Writing – more of it
Elements of a Website incl. the Home Page & Writing an About Us Page
- Understanding the architecture of a Website
- How to write a Home page
- The power of the About Us page
- Creating trust among your readers
- Learn how to write dynamic content (Embedding)
Writing a CV and A Cover Letter & Revision and Wrap Up
- Writing an effective online CV and cover letter
- Writing Great Web Content
- Writing for Voice Search
- Establish a blog and run it effectively for at least three months with two posts a week minimum.
- Join Facebook and set up a Profile
- Write ads for a Google campaign
- Write an Online CV and a Cover letter
What Our Students Say
It was a very informative course and I learnt a lot more than expected. Karen is a very knowledgeable tutor and I now have the strategies I need to write successful content for the Web. Overall the experience was valuable and worthwhile.
The course opened up a whole new world for me. I've learnt so much and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Karen is the ideal tutor - her patience is unlimited and her knowledge of her subject is formidable. She was always there to advise and motivate me, but at the same time she encouraged me to find out things for myself. It was a very professional course, run by a very professional organisation. I can heartily recommend it!
I enjoyed completing a course that was easy to understand and allowed me to progress at my own pace; the flexibility was great.
I would describe my experience with the college as organised, effective, efficient, comprehensive and insightful. I learnt more than I thought. My tutor Karen was patient, thorough and motivating; she responded to my questions immediately. If you are wanting to improve your skills in any form of writing, the best way is through The Writers’ College.
My experience on the course was useful and relevant. My lecturer was supportive and knowledgeable. Overall I would describe the course as relevant and challenging
The course was very informative and I learned a lot which I can apply immediately . Karen Lotter was excellent and her feedback was honest and direct which I appreciated. She really knows her field and she was a really pleasant tutor to have.
Get These Additional Benefits
Risk-Free 100% Money-Back Guarantee
We are so confident that you will love your course that if you’re not 100% satisfied with the quality of our training, simply ask for a refund within 30 days.
Complete the Application Form to Enrol on the Web Writing Course
You will receive an approval email and invoice within one working day.
Questions? We've Got Answers
Detailed class notes covering the content of each module are e-mailed to students. At the end of each module, students will be required to complete at least ten writing exercises as well as some online tasks, all of which count towards the final result of the student. Students will learn about the keywords, SEO and creating trust online. Students must also create a presence on Facebook and set up and run a blog.
Once the writing assignment has been completed, and e-mailed to the lecturer, an assessment and feedback will be sent to the student, and the module will be considered complete.
Absolutely. You have direct communication with your tutor for the duration of the course. The more questions you ask, the more you will get out of the course.
You will get lifetime access to the course, and you’ll benefit from all future updates and improvements to the course.
For the majority of our courses, only your tutor will see your work. Your work will remain completely private unless you get it published. In the journalism courses, your work might be published in the public domain, but you do have the final say as to whether or not it is published.
Students will receive a Writers College Certificate upon successful completion of the course, provided they meet the following conditions:
- Students must have completed 8 projects (7 individual media projects and one mini-campaign involving a minimum of 3 different media)
- The course must have been completed within 10 months of registration
- Students are expected to attain a minimum average of 50% for the course
- Basic writing skills are essential.
- Basic computer skills, as well as email and Internet access are required.
- No previous tertiary qualification is required.
Because you will work with an individual tutor, you can apply for a course and start as soon as you want to. There are no specific start dates as would be the case with a traditional college.
An application is usually approved within one working day. Once we see proof of payment, your course will start.
You could be starting your course today!
- Reading time: 10 hours
- Writing time: 20 hours
- Research time: 20 hours
Once your application has been approved, you will receive notice of approval and an invoice via email. As soon as we see proof of payment, you will receive the first module. We will also send you your tutor’s email address and your login details. Your tutor will also be in touch to welcome you.
Any work you create on our courses is owned by you. We will never make a claim to anything you produce. We follow the rule that copyright subsists with the creator (you).